The systems and techniques in this section are more complex than those described in our Basic Problem Solving Tips FAQ. But they're well within your reach if you have some basic repair projects under you belt. The same basic principles apply.
If an advanced repair task is new to you, start by reviewing Engine Operation and Safety.
Here are a few of the subjects you should review to prepare for the projects in this section:
- Before you clean your carburetor, review the basics of carburetor operation.
- Before you replace the ignition, you should have some knowledge of how electricity is generated.
- Before removing carbon deposits, it's helpful to understand the source of carbon deposits in the engine.
- Before servicing the valves, review the mechanics of compression.
- Before servicing a brake or stop switches, review the principles of the flywheel brake.
The background provided in these system sections will help you get through the advanced repair projects with no trouble. If you're concerned about special issues that pertain to your engine, contact an Authorized Dealer. The technicians there can offer you helpful advice specific to your engine make and model.